Argyle Take 2

I am currently taking on my second pair of argyle socks. I haven’t posted pictures of the first pair here, but I knit them for my boyfriend in an attempt to woo him pre-dating. It worked because we are going on 7 months. Woohoo! When he asked me to knit him a second pair I groaned a little inside because I was not entirely happy with the only pattern I could find online. my disappointment came from the fact that it was only written for one size that wasn’t a great fit for JB. I can’t really fault the designer for this because the color chart pretty much dictates how many color repeats you can do. Short of making thigh-high socks, the pattern is what it is. Commence creating a new color chart and sock pattern!

So far I have finished the cuff of one sock and I am super happy with JB’s color choices. They are perhaps a little patriotic for my tastes but they look good anyway. I also love that I can include smaller diamonds of color rather than the extra large ones in my first pattern.

2013-07-17 22.32.43

The next frustration I had with these socks came from the immense tangled mess that my color work ends up in. This wasn’t going to fly for long…

2013-07-10 21.14.17

I had read a little about color work “butterflies” before but hadn’t quite figured it out. After perusing the Internet a little bit I found a method that works for me. I wound small yarn pulls in a figure eight around my fingers…

2013-07-10 21.31.34

…and wound the yarn around itself.

2013-07-10 21.29.22

Tada! Center pull yarn butterflies!

2013-07-10 21.41.29

So neat and tidy I can knit these standing up on the subway.

2013-07-10 21.41.19

My next task is to find a heel flap and toe that I really like for this pattern. The original pattern calls for a heel flap that is a little loose and a star toe. I don’t really like either so its back to the drawing board!